Sunday, August 2, 2015

Romans 16:8-11 - Stature in Christ

Romans 16:8-11 - Greet Ampliatus, my beloved in the Lord. Greet Urbanus, our fellow worker in Christ, and my beloved Stachys. 10 Greet Apelles, who is approved in Christ. Greet those who belong to the family of Aristobulus. 11 Greet my kinsman Herodion. Greet those in the Lord who belong to the family of Narcissus.

Message: Noteworthy individuals 

Time: Written in AD 57 from Greece, to the Christians, both Gentile and Jewish in Rome

What the Lord is Saying:

These must be great individuals and people I would love to meet one day in heaven. I mean, Paul mentioned them in his writing. They are definitely significant individuals. 

Paul says of Ampliatus, "my beloved in the Lord." Beloved is a term generally reserved for Jesus in the New Testament and Paul uses it twice here, also referring to Stachys in verse 9.  God the Father uses the same word in reference to Jesus in Matthew 3:17, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased."

Just looking at the words that Paul uses in these verses - beloved, fellow worker, in Christ, approved, belong, my kinsman, those in the Lord. These are all powerful words and descriptors of individuals. And there is an idea of community in these words. Paul does not say in any of these words that he is somehow greater than anyone else. These are individuals that are simply coming alongside and working with him.

Approved is the Greek word dokimazo used to describe precious metals such as gold or silver that were refined by fire and proven genuine, having passed the test for purity. Whatever Apelles might have done, he did it well.

The next couple of greetings may be to those that are not necessarily in Christ. He says, "Greet those who belong to the family of Aristobulus." This could mean all those in the household, including slaves, but it may just be a greeting to them, rather than stating that they are part of the family of God. Some maybe, but not necessarily all. Yet, Paul mentions them for he wants them to know they are significant in his life. 

He mentions Herodion, a fellow kinsman, which could mean, a fellow Jew. Again, not necessarily in Christ. 

But then the family of Narcissus is different. They do in fact belong and are in the Lord. Or it could mean that those of the family, not Narcissus, are in Christ. 

Promise: It is good to be mentioned.

2 comments:

  1. Blessings, JC Family and BRIE/BRILLAMAR!! I am SO glad you are back! I have been trying to post for days and every time, my computer fails. I have much catching up to do as well as bringing all of you up to date.
    For right now, I wanted to say Good Morning and let you know that though my name hasn't shown up for a few days, I read and pray for each of you every day. What a blessed family we have. Loved your Team Analogy, MadFox. Bob, I went back on the site last night to download the music for my little Grandsons (I wanted them to get to hear Nicole's "Jesus Loves Me," and it's down. I had downloaded the teaching but not the music. If there is a way, please send it to me.
    More later - hope this posts this time.
    Norah

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone has any tips on posting, please share. I was prepared to do it as "Anonymous" which is why after the 5th attempt I signed my name. THEN, it worked?!?!

    ReplyDelete