Thursday, August 27, 2015

Psalm 6 - A Prayer for Deliverance

Psalm 6 - 1 O Lord, rebuke me not in your anger, nor discipline me in your wrath. Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am languishing; heal me, O Lord, for my bones are troubled. My soul also is greatly troubled. But you, O Lord—how long? Turn, O Lord, deliver my life; save me for the sake of your steadfast love. For in death there is no remembrance of you; in Sheol who will give you praise?I am weary with my moaning; every night I flood my bed with tears; I drench my couch with my weeping. My eye wastes away because of grief; it grows weak because of all my foes. Depart from me, all you workers of evil, for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my plea; the Lord accepts my prayer. 10 All my enemies shall be ashamed and greatly troubled; they shall turn back and be put to shame in a moment.

Message: A Prayer for Deliverance

Time: The psalms were written by many different people across a period of a thousand years in Israel's history. They are thought to have been compiled and put together in their present form by some unknown editor shortly after the captivity ended about 537 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying: 

I am not sure what exactly (nor are the commentators) the writer of this Psalm (probably David) is experiencing upon him voicing this prayer. But, he felt like it was important to write down and record. He was obviously feeling a deep sense of hurt. It may not been because of any sin in his own life for he does not mention any sin. 

O Lord, I am at a low point and while there are times when I need your correction and rebuke because of the sin in my life, I ask that you not correct me right now. This world I live in is corrupt and foul mouthed and disregards you over and over, in more ways than one. You deserve to give wrath and anger, but I ask you withhold it from me at this time. Be gracious to me O Lord for I am at a loss of spirit and vigor. Heal me, for my body aches. And my soul is greatly troubled. Lord, how long? How long must I stay in this state? How long do I stay in this condition? 

Turn me around. Deliver my life. Save me for the sake of your never-ending Love. You are a God who is to remembered and to be praised, but if I die I cannot do this, and I want to continue to do this. I don't want to wade through the waters of my own misery, but rather I want to turn my focus on You and remember all of the things you have done for me, praising You. 

My moaning continues. My bed is filled with my tears as I cry myself to sleep. My outlook on life is one of despair and grief. All I can see many times is my enemies or my foes. "Depart from me, all you evil ones, for the Lord hears me and hears me in my weeping. You work evil out, but God is near me." Thank you God for hearing me and thank you God for accepting my prayer. My my enemies be ashamed of their conduct. May the wicked fail in their schemes, immediately. May there ways be confused right now, so they don't continue in their wrath, but it stops, right now.

Promise: God is there in moments of feeling defeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment