Friday, December 2, 2016

Ecclesiastes 7:21-22 - The Things People Say

Ecclesiastes 7:21-22
21 Also, do not take seriously all words which are spoken, so that you will not hear your servant cursing you. 22 For you also have realized that you likewise have many times cursed others.

Message: The things people say

Time: Ecclesiastes: Solomon's authorship is not stated. Solomon's reign as king of Israel lasted from around 970 B.C. to around 930 B.C. The Book of Ecclesiastes was likely written towards the end of his reign, approximately 935 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying: 

The point I see from these verses is
1. Do not take too seriously every word spoken and
2. My words are sometimes not said correctly.

I am dealing with a problem right now at work. The problem resides in the fact that one person thinks another person said something, committing themselves to a process that is contrary to the current process and one person is holding that other person to it. We have tried to say it was said in error, but someone refuses to answer. This started happening this week and in the last 24 hours it has taken over my thinking. I just want it resolved but the other person is not budging.

I am not to hold on to such grudges and the silliness of taking words spoken in a fit of anger too seriously. It will unnecessarily disturb my emotional life. People cannot really hurt me with their words. If I allow it to happen, I will get distracted from the work God has commanded me to do.

Proverbs 26:4, "Answer not a fool according to his folly."

Lord, help me with this because I get too much in the mode of taking words personally.

Promise: We have to develop discernment regarding when to take words seriously and when to ignore them. Keep in mind my own tendency to speak ill words against others. Extend grace to those who apologize for what they have said about us so that they may extend to us when our speech is hurtful.


No comments:

Post a Comment