Saturday, December 31, 2016

Psalm 51:1-9 - David's Plea for Forgiveness

Psalm 51:1-9
1 Be gracious to me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness;
According to the greatness of Your compassion blot out my transgressions.
Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity
And cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,
And my sin is ever before me.
Against You, You only, I have sinned
And done what is evil in Your sight,
So that You are justified when You speak
And blameless when You judge.

Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
And in sin my mother conceived me.
Behold, You desire truth in the innermost being,
And in the hidden part You will make me know wisdom.
7 Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8 Make me to hear joy and gladness,
Let the bones which You have broken rejoice.
Hide Your face from my sins
And blot out all my iniquities.


Message: David's Plea for Forgiveness

Time: The psalms were written by many different people across a period of a thousand years in Israel's history. They are thought to have been compiled and put together in their present form by some unknown editor shortly after the captivity ended about 537 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying:

I've heard that this Psalm is a great prayer for a sinner, pleading for God for His forgiveness. These words here so clearly convey our need for the Lord's love and forgiveness.

Blot out my transgression...wash me thoroughly from my iniquity...cleanse me from my sin...you know...i know...i have sinned, against you God...against you I have done evil. You have every right to judge me for you are blameless. In sin, I came into the world, but what you desire me if truth and wisdom. Purify me then. Make me clean. Wash me so I will be whiter than snow. As a clean vessel, i then will hear joy and gladness from you and I will rejoice. Hide your face from my sins that continue to be committed and see my sins no more. 

It is clear throughout scripture that God's message to people is "Believe." But that belief is predicated on one idea and that is that I am a sinner or I have sinned. It is true, that over time, and even as we age, most of us rid much sin in our lives, but the reality is we are still sinners, whether the quantity is 1 sin or 100. God has always said in scripture that their must be atoning sacrifice for sin. Sin separates us from God and to restore that relationship their must be atonement. Throughout history, he has provided that atonement. For many years it was blood sacrifice in the form of an animal on an altar, a temporary fix, but at all times, people looked forward to a permanent fix- Messiah.

This is what we are asked to believe. Believe God and believe that he has our best interest in mind and that he has provided us with the answer. And at its core there is the recognition that I have sinned and my transgression needs to be removed by a Savior. This is the message then of these verses from Psalm 51. It is the recognition that I have sinned and God is the one that cleans me. Thus, I believe.

But, within acknowledgement of sin and believing that God provides the atonement for my sin, is also then the desire to not sin. But, this desire, I believe, comes about after believing and putting the trust in God's provision, for God then gives us a new heart, with the ability to see our sin for what it is, know that it displeases God and then the desire to go and sin no more. This is an about face that now occurs in the life a believer. It doesn't mean that I will always no longer hate sin for their will be moments that I don't trust God's provision and seek out my own solutions, which often result in sin; but it means that my overarching focus is to live for Christ and deny self, walking by faith, not by sight.

Promise: Christians are new creations in Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment