Sunday, December 18, 2016

Psalm 89:19-37 - God's Eternal Covenant with God

Psalm 89:19-37
 19 Once You spoke in vision to Your godly ones, and said, “I have given help to one who is mighty; I have exalted one chosen from the people.
20 “I have found David My servant; with My holy oil I have anointed him,
21 With whom My hand will be established; my arm also will strengthen him.
22 “The enemy will not deceive him, nor the son of wickedness afflict him.
23 “But I shall crush his adversaries before him, and strike those who hate him.
24 “My faithfulness and My lovingkindness will be with him, and in My name his horn will be exalted.
25 “I shall also set his hand on the sea and his right hand on the rivers.
26 “He will cry to Me, ‘You are my Father, My God, and the rock of my salvation.’
27 “I also shall make him My firstborn, the highest of the kings of the earth.
28 “My lovingkindness I will keep for him forever, and My covenant shall be confirmed to him.
29 “So I will establish his descendants forever and his throne as the days of heaven.
30 “If his sons forsake My law and do not walk in My judgments,
31 If they violate My statutes and do not keep My commandments,
32 Then I will punish their transgression with the rod and their iniquity with stripes.
33 “But I will not break off My lovingkindness from him, nor deal falsely in My faithfulness.
34 “My covenant I will not violate, nor will I alter the utterance of My lips.
35 “Once I have sworn by My holiness; I will not lie to David.
36 “His descendants shall endure forever and his throne as the sun before Me.
37 “It shall be established forever like the moon, and the witness in the sky is faithful.” Selah.

Message: God's Eternal Covenant with God

Time: The psalms were written by many different people across a period of a thousand years in Israel's history. They are thought to have been compiled and put together in their present form by some unknown editor shortly after the captivity ended about 537 B.C.


What the Lord is Saying:

Lord, in the past, You spoke in vision, as was your normal way of speaking to the Holy prophets, Your godly ones, you have given help to one who is mighty, a singular one, whom you have properly qualified and exalted one chosen one from the people, for so great of an undertaking. There is scarce a man to be found among all men. I have found out of all the people, David My servant, and with My holy oil I have anointed him producing the Spirit of the Lord upon him. Thus, My hand will be established in him, constantly able to protect and assist him and support him in all that he does. He may be persecuted, but no advantage will be made against him.  The enemy will not deceive him, nor the son of wickedness afflict him or overthrow him. The enemy will not conquer him. There will always be enemies and adversaries before God's anointed ones, but God shall crush and strike those who hate him. And Lord, your faithfulness will be with your servant. You always make good on your promises. Your lovingkindness and mercy are present in that you always do more than you promise. You pardon our sins. In Your name your horn (power) will be exalted. You set your hand on the sea and your right hand on the rivers. You establish your dominion over the waters. The waters are vast but you are in charge. They are deep but you understand. You power is established farther than we can see. We cry to You, 'You are my Father, My God, and the rock of my salvation.'  You are a true and kind father, my father, my God, and you can complete salvation in me.Thank you Father for making me as a firstborn, the highest kings of the earth. The firstborn had privileges above all other sons. But David here is the highest of kings over the earth. For David, My lovingkindness (mercy) Lord God will keep for him forever nothing will alter your kind intentions. God you will establish his descendants forever and his throne as the days of heaven (without limit). Lord, if your sons forsake Your law and do not walk in Your judgments, if they violate Your statutes (rules) and do not keep Your commandments then you will punish their sin with the rod and their iniquity with stripes, but You will not break off Your mercy (lovingkindness from him, nor deal falsely in My faithfulness. Lord, your promises will continue. We can hold firm on this one and only promise. Your covenant You will not violate. You will not alter the utterance of Your lips. Your word remains true, no matter what. Yes consequences from sin will result, but Your word remains. Lord, you added a promise or oath or have sworn by Your holiness. You will not lie to David. Your descendants shall endure forever and your throne as the sun before Me. It shall be established forever like the moon and the witness in the sky is faithful. As the moon and sky never depart from our lives, we can be reminded that your merciful promises will remain. 


Promise: God's promises remain, forever, like the moon, like the sky, for he has made an oath, sworn that it would be so.


No comments:

Post a Comment