Sunday, December 11, 2016

Psalm 119:113-120 - The Single-Minded Law of God

Psalm 119:113-120
113 I hate those who are double-minded,
But I love Your law.
114 You are my hiding place and my shield;
I wait for Your word.
115 Depart from me, evildoers,
That I may observe the commandments of my God.
116 Sustain me according to Your word, that I may live;
And do not let me be ashamed of my hope.
117 Uphold me that I may be safe,
That I may have regard for Your statutes continually.
118 You have rejected all those who wander from Your statutes,
For their deceitfulness is useless.
119 You have removed all the wicked of the earth
like dross;
Therefore I love Your testimonies.
120 My flesh trembles for fear of You,
And I am afraid of Your judgments.

Message: The Single-Minded Law of God

Time: The psalms were written by many different people across a period of a thousand years in Israel's history. They are thought to have been compiled and put together in their present form by some unknown editor shortly after the captivity ended about 537 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying:

This is really a wonderful chapter. The fact that it was written over 2500 years ago is amazing. It still is applicable today. Over and over the message is a love for God's love. That love really needs to be singular, meaning I am to desire God's word to hide in my heart and be my shield. I need to be careful all the time of having a love for something else that is not God's law. So, with a goal of being single-minded the Psalmist tells evil doers to "depart from me." Keep me safe. How often am I praying to keep me close to God's word and His commands? This the cry of the Psalmist over and over. God's word is the pinnacle and so staying single-minded is the key. God will take care of the wicked so I am to be far from that wickedness. The only thing I am to fear is God's judgments, God's wrath. 

Promise: Let God be in charge. Stay the course of single-minded thinking and God will take care of the evil ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment