Thursday, December 29, 2016

Ephesians 1:13-14 - God's Gift of Perseverance

Ephesians 1:13-14
13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God’s own possession, to the praise of His glory.

Message: God's Gift of Perseverance

Time: Paul wrote this letter while in prison, probably in Rome about 60AD. He wrote to the churches around Ephesus to display the scope of God's eternal plan for all humanity-for Jews and Gentiles alike.

What the Lord is Saying:

The first 3 chapters of Ephesians focus on what a person should believe. Paul here defines faith. He defines grace. In this first chapter, Paul reminds us of what we now have in Christ. He states he has blessed us with every spiritual blessing (v.3): 
  • He chose us
  • He predestined us
  • In Him we have redemption through His blood 
  • He made known to us the mystery of His will 
  • In Him also we have obtained an inheritance 
  • In Him you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit 

It is this last point that I focus on today, from this reading. After listening, having believed, I am sealed in Him. The crux or the turning point of faith remains one thing: belief. The turning point of salvation remains here, believing in the gospel, the atoning sacrifice of Jesus for the redemption of our lives. And once we believe, it brings in a litany of blessings. And the first step toward believing is listening. I think of a gal in my office who has begun going to church and is enamored by the music and the message. Lord, may she believe. 

The Spiritual blessings mentioned above all define our new condition in Christ, but the last one, being sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit means that my new new condition has been given a helper. It means that a torch has not simply been passed and I must now run this race on my own. Instead, God remains with me, in the work of the Holy Spirit, enabling me to will and work for his good pleasure. Works have been created for me for in advance. And to carry those works out I will need a helper to guide me into all truth. The natural world will continue to try to place its mark on me and my life, despite my new condition in Christ. I will continually be pulled into the marketplace, to believe what the culture is putting forth for my life. So I need and must have His Presence with me, guiding me, strengthening me, carrying me, instructing me. Thank You God for sending your son, for dying for me, redeeming me, and setting me apart for your will and service. And thank you for not leaving me alone to live and work, but for sending your Spirit to come alongside me and live in Me so that I can navigate each day. Help me to remember this Lord. You are not simply near. You are here, with me.   

Promise: He remains within us to move us effectually to persevere.


1 comment:

  1. yes! for the praise of his glory (:12,14). i hadn't thought of the preserving feature of such a solid guarantee but am perplexed on inheriting the world! Rm 4:13

    ReplyDelete